Have you read the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day? If not lemme share with you the story of Alexander – One day Alexander wakes up with gum stuck in his hair, his best friend has abandoned him, he doesn’t have a dessert in his lunch bag, and to top it all he gets lima beans for supper.
Have there been days when you can relate to what Alexander went through? — When you had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Or perhaps you’re feeling that way at the moment.
Sometimes we get up in the morning, and even before our feet hit the floor, we make out that the day is going downhill fast. Life hits us with disappointments, tests, and despair, or maybe there’s no clear reason — our mood just goes from joyful to gloomy.
When I’m having a day like such where in everything seems no good, very bad day, my first response is to push through all the negativity and overlook these negative feelings. I don’t like to feel bad, so I believe that if I just keep going on forward with my day, I’ll be able to shake it off. This works at times, but on other occasions it feels like I am drowning in quicksand. I have no enthusiasm or longing to do anything.
And this is precisely the time when I need some Words of Encouragement and inspiration. I need some inspiring words to pull myself out of the depression and reframe my thoughts. As I reinstate negative thoughts with Words of Encouragement and inspiration, I often discover that my feelings also follow.
Here are a few words of encouragement with 30 quotes to lift your spirits and brighten up your day:
- “All progress takes place outside the comfort zone.” ~Michael John Bobak
- “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” ~Arthur Ashe
- “When I dare to be powerful – to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.” ~Audre Lorde
- “When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” ~Alexander Graham Bell
- “Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” ~Lolly Daskal
- “When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” ~Harriet Beecher Stowe
- “Don’t be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.” ~John D. Rockefeller
- “If you don’t pay appropriate attention to what has your attention, it will take more of your attention than it deserves.” ~David Allen
- “If you don’t value your time, neither will others. Stop giving away your time and talents — start charging for it.” ~Kim Garst
- “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” ~Helen Keller
- “Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value. ~Albert Einstein
- “In essence, if we want to direct our lives, we must take control of our consistent actions. It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” ~Tony Robbins
- “If we did all the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.” ~Thomas Edison
- “You are never to old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” ~C.S. Lewis
- “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~Maria Robinson
- “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.” ~Wayne Dyer
- “Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it’s holy ground. There’s no greater investment.” ~Stephen Covey
- “Do you want to know who you are? Don’t ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.” ~Thomas Jefferson
- “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.” ~Kenji Miyazawa
- “Be impeccable with your word. Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.” ~Miguel Angel Ruiz
- “Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines.” ~Robert Schuller
- “Learning is the beginning of wealth. Learning is the beginning of health. Learning is the beginning of spirituality. Searching and learning is where the miracle process all begins.” ~Jim Rohn
- “Fall seven times, stand up eight.” ~Japanese Proverb
- “If it is bread that you seek, you will have bread. If it is the soul you seek, you will find the soul. If you understand this secret, you know you are that which you seek.” ~Rumi
- “In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you.” ~Deepak Chopra
- “Perhaps everything terrible is in its being something that needs our love.” ~Rainer Maria Rilke
- “If you are going through hell, keep going.” ~Winston Churchill
- “Let your soul stand cool and composed before a million universes.” ~Walt Whitman
- “Hold on to what is good, even if it’s a handful of earth.” ~Hopi prayer
- “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
Which words of encouragement helped you when you were having a day like Alexander a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day? If you have any quotes that inspire you and get you motivated, please share them below in comments.